This section of my website is dedicated to my interests beyond academia.
Photography, architecture, spinning, rugby, weight lifting/training, and reading (fiction/non-fiction).
Fun facts and highlights:
- I'm obsessed with rugby. Favorite teams: London Wasps (Premiership), England (National). I've traveled to see two international matches: USA v Ireland (New York, 2017) and Wales v South Africa (Washington DC, 2018).
- I have two dogs: Jackson and Elmer. That's them with our late dog, Bailey, above.
- Visited Harry Potter World in Fall 2016. (Yes, it was awesome!)
- Disney World. I'm a huge fan.
- Accompanied students on the SPIA Oxford Program in Spring 2016.
- I got married in Grant Park, Chicago in 2014. We got engaged at Cafe Central in Vienna in 2013 (picture above).
- Traveled to Ireland, Northern Ireland, and the United Kingdom in Summer 2014 for research/field work.
- Completed a series of running events, including the Chicago Marathon (October 2008), the Detroit Half-Marathon (October 2009), the Disney Marathon (January 2010), and the Flying Pig Marathon (Cincinnati, May 2012). It was 27 degrees when we started the Disney marathon at 5:45am; it was slightly warmer when we finished.
- Ran the Milwaukee Brewer's Racing Sausages 5K (July 2010).
- Stormed the Bastille (5K, Milwaukee, July 2010).
- Drove entirely around Lake Michigan (July 2010). Along the way, we stopped at a number of places, including Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in Northwest Michigan. For the record, we not only climbed the main dune, but also hiked the 3-4 miles round-trip to the Lake Michigan shoreline.
- Between 2003-2006, I was a volunteer mediator working with Jefferson County (Colorado) Mediation Services, a public office that provided mediation services for the county. The cases I mediated involved both small claims court (i.e., contract disputes) and inter-personal matters (i.e., child custody, neighbor relations).
Non-US places I've been:
- Paris, Versailles, and Normandy (Summer 2017)
- Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada (Summer 2017)
- Oxford, London, and Edinburgh (Winter/Spring 2015/6)
- Ireland (Dundalk and surrounding), Northern Ireland (Belfast), and the United Kingdom (London, Oxford, Liverpool; Summer 2014)
- Budapest, Hungary and Vienna, Austria (Summer 2013)
- Dominican Republic (Spring 2009)
Recently finished (non-academic) books:
Dickens, Charles. Nicholas Nickleby.
Greer, Andrew Sean. Less.
Lahiri, Jhumpa. Interpreter of Maladies.
Simenon, Georges, Maigret and the Calame Report.
Vance, J.D, Hillbilly Elegy.
(Some) favorite books:
Austen, Jane (2003). Pride and Prejudice. New York: Barnes & Noble Publishers.
Doyle, Arthur Conan. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (or any work in the Sherlock series or Moriarty subculture).
King, Laurie R. The Beekeeper's Apprentice (or any work in the Mary Russell series).
Marquez, Gabriel Garcia. (1988) Love in the Time of Cholera.
Recently viewed movies:
Antman & Antman and the Wasp
(Some) favorite movies:
Burn After Reading (2008)
Edward Scissorhands (1990)
Pride & Prejudice (2006)
Recent song/album(s) added to iTunes:
Fitz & the Tantrums "Hand Clap"
James Haskell's Back Row Beats Workout
Megan Trainor "No Excuses"
Linkin Park "Iridescent"
Pink Beautiful Trauma
Starship No Protection
Rudimental "These Days"
(Some) favorite music:
Edward Scissorhands Soundtrack
The Gotan Project
(Some) favorite television shows:
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Parks and Recreation